Find a Fish:
WHERE the Huon Ocean Trout is farmed:
- Huon Trout is farmed in one of the wildest environments in the world - the region itself is so wild that the outlet of the harbour is referred to as Hell's Gates.
- Macquarie Harbour is on the west coast of Tasmania and sits at the edge of world heritage forests highlighting the pristine environment in which we're operating.
- Macquarie Harbour experiences around 300 days of rain a year, with an average annual rainfall of around 60 inches.
- Tasmania itself is about 50% national park, and the North Western tip of Tasmania has officially been recorded as having the cleanest air in the world.
Why 'not all trout is Huon' Ocean Trout:
- Low Stress: We have some of the lowest stocking densities in the world - with less than 1% ratio of fish to water in the pens.
- Well Nourished: Our centralised feeding operations/technology (we feed all our pens across our operations from here in the office) allows us to ensure our fish are fed when they are hungry, and feeding it automatically stops when they have had enough (through our own IT developed pellet recognition software - results in minimal environmental impact of fish feed on the sea floor)
- Raised with Sustainable Practices: Peter and Frances have always taken the view that we've been here for 33 years and if we do not look after the environment - we will not be here for another 33 years. Everything we've done is to ensure the sustainability of our industry.
- Beautiful marbling of the Huon Ocean Trout creates a rich but smooth flavor and suitable for sashimi or cooked dishes.
- Our fish are vibrant in color with a firmer mouthfeel that makes them very popular for chefs and consumers alike.
- Chefs love our Huon Trout because it is an oiler fish and marbles well.
- A very nice alternative to salmon and the unique point of difference for that consumer that is chasing a higher level experience.
Range & Habitat: